Moving house is a huge event in a family’s life and one that brings plenty of change to their lifestyle. Simply preparing for a house move takes from between a few weeks to up to months. It’s a big undertaking, but it’s also quite exciting. A house move is above all, a chance for a fresh start.
One of the basic stages of every house move is the packing process. It could take days and even weeks to pack your entire house safely. It requires the right packaging material and the right techniques. Packing is a rather mechanical process and usually the people on the move are quite stressed throughout the entire process. On the other hand, unpacking tends to be even harder. It requires some proper design thought and creativity in order to arrange each item properly and turn an empty house into a real home. However, for most people unpacking is much more exciting.
Packing for a move requires plenty of packing material. Here are the basic supplies you need to get before you start:
- Cardboard moving boxes: You need sturdy boxes that are clean, odor-free and dry (even if they have been used before) of the following sizes: small, medium, large, extra-large. Get enough boxes to ensure that you won’t run out of them in the middle of the packing process.
- Bubble Wrap: The magic packing material that will ensure the safety of fragile items and breakables. Wrap in a few layers and place them in a box that has been well-padded with linen or another cloth.
- Specialty Boxes: These may be costly, but they can save the day. You can get specifically-designed boxes for the following items and more: electronics, lamps, mirrors, paintings, artwork, dishes and clothes.
- Stretch Wrap: Absolutely vital, especially if your items will be travelling for a while or need temporary storage. Use stretch wrap to wrap electronics, glass surfaces, furniture and fragile items.
- Newspaper or Plain Paper: You can use one or the other for wrapping fragile items or padding boxes. Use crushed paper to fill the voids between items in a box.
- Packing Tape: Necessary for safely taping the moving boxes after they’ve been packed. Use it for wrapped furniture as well.
- Straps: Straps can help keep lids and doors closed and they are also useful when moving the furniture with a dolly.
- Moving Blankets: Necessary for moving the heavier furniture pieces.
- Mattress Covers: Get some mattress covers to keep your mattresses safe during the transportation.
When you start packing, remember the golden rule: pack room by room and box by box. Keep track of the inventory list and label the boxes accordingly. The proper labeling will help you a lot when you start unpacking after the move.